Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Mind- Bending Facts About The Milky Way Galaxy

According to the best approximations by astrophysicists from around the world, there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe. As for the parts of the universe we cannot see? Who knows. Inside these billions (if not trillions) of galaxies are billions (if not trillions) of stars… Fairly mind-altering, isn’t it? It is factually outside our capability to understand.

New study coming from a team of global researchers headed by Professor Heidi Jo Newberg of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute proposes that the Milky Way Galaxy is at least 50% bigger than what is usually thought. These approximations are based on new discoveries that disclose our galaxy is contoured into multiple concentric ripples. This means that the Milky Way Galaxy is not 100,000 light years across, but at least 150,000 light years across.

At the center of the galaxy is a massive black hole which is billions of times as massive as the sun, Just picture that. Researchers believe that this black hole weighs as much as 4 million of our suns put together. Black holes are some of the weirdest and most captivating objects present in outer space. Researchers do not know what they are, but theories range from portals to other dimensions and more. The first black hole was found in 1971. Our galaxy is hurtling through space, spinning about a giant black hole, while our sun and solar system travel with it. The solar system is travelling at speeds of roughly 515,000 miles per hour. Even at this speed, our solar system would take about 230 million years to travel all the way about the galaxy.

Our galaxy is home to (perhaps) a number of Earth-like planets. Quite a few Earth-like planets have at present been found, but a group of scientists from Australia and Denmark newly calculated that there are hundreds of billions of Earth-like plants in the Milky Way Galaxy:

“The constituents for life are abundant, and we now know that habitable environments are plentiful,” said Dr. Lineweaver, who is a co-author on the paper published in the Royal Astronomical Society.

Using NASA data, astrophysicists have computed for the first time that in our galaxy alone, there are at least 8.8 billion stars with Earth-size planets in the inhabitable temperature zone. It’s significant to note that not all planets have to be Earth-like in order to sustain extraterrestrial life. Who knows what circumstances are needed for other lifeforms to exist? Their biological makeup could be totally different from ours, and it appears like pure hubris to assume otherwise.

The general, irresistible scientific agreement is no, we are not alone, but not all agree that intelligent extraterrestrial life is, and has been, visiting our planet. That being said, many respected researchers, astronauts, academics, and more have faith in that the proof for extraterrestrial visitation is quite solid.

Seemingly, there is a strong likelihood that the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies will crash into each other in around 2 billion years. That collision will last about 5 billion years.

Many researchers consider that the Milky Way is one of the eldest galaxies in the universe. Approximations place the formation of our galaxy at around 13.6 billion years ago, and the ‘Big Bang’ was said to happen 13.7 billion years ago.

Almost 90% of the Milky Way is obscure. Stars and dust make up only 10% of the total mass of the galaxy, so where is the other 90%? Whatever it is, it does have mass, and researchers are calling it Dark Matter.

Post a Comment for "Mind- Bending Facts About The Milky Way Galaxy"